UCC Timeline of Events
A basic timeline of UCC historical events. If you have an item of historical significance for this timeline, please email the webmasters.
For your ease, a history of events is also available.
- UCC Constitution adopted
- UCC acquires an IBM 1620
- UWA Department of Computer Science founded.
- UCC purchases an Alpha Micro, affectionately known as Murphy, for $20,000
- UCC obtains a club room in the Guild Building
- UCC Constitution amended.
- UCC wins a award from the Silver Jubilee Trust for Young Australians
- Marvin, a 'very cool, very powerful' NS32 000 series S100 bus computer was constructed by UCC
- [DAV] arrived. (?)
- The Organism arrived.
- The Great 15th Anniversary Carpet Auction held.
- Flame BBS came into existence, running on Remote Access.
- UCC received mullet (a VAX 11/750) and minnow (a VAX 11/730).
- UCC moved from Guild Hall to a room in Cameron Hall.
- The machine minnow died a horrible death.
- UCC bought mackerel. (?)
- Flame became a MUD and found a new home on mullet.
- UCC moved to a specially-constructed room in Cameron Hall.
- The UCC drink machine arrived.
- The machine mullet died a horrible death.
- UCC installed its first gopher server.
- UCC failed to escape UniSFA.
- Accounting software for the drink machine was written.
- Electronic door lock is bought. (?)
- The machine mullet died a horrible death.
- UCC gopher server died.
- UCC installed first web server.
- Jager left. (?)
- UCC bought culler off UWA Centre for Water Resources.
- Our mac machines titanic and exxon appeared.
- Door sensors were given internet access.
- Radio option added to [DAV]tronics amplifier.
- UCC obtained old UWA machine earwax. (?)
- [DAV] graduates. (?)
- Our machines starfish and manta appeared.
- UCC purchased VT220s and X-terms.
- UCC celebrated 21st anniversary.
- Snack vending machine arrived.
- NeXT machine beige obtained.
- Building of moray completed.
- Electronic door lock installed.
- Room cleaned multiple times. (Honest!!)
- Quinn left UCC bound for Apple.
- CD-Rom drive purchased for titanic.
- Tool cupboard project launched.
- Mac machines bounty and batavia arrived.
- UCC obtained axolotl and mermaid. Machine room constructed. Doorbell installed. UCC Constitution amended. SMD drive controller on mackerel died after many years. SPARC upgrade bought and installed on mackerel. 4.3Gb hard drive bought. Cyrix 686 chip bought.
- Snack machine discarded as unsuitable.
- BeBox tinkered with.
- Digital CRO purchased.
- Old Madvax donated.
- Sparc 1 Plus donated by Sun.
- UCC Web pages completely revamped.
- UCC Room cabled with Cat 5 UTP.
- Another snack machine is obtained.
- Several SGI machines obtained from Hammersley Iron.
- mussel, a dual Celeron, is purchased.
- 25th Anniversary dinner held at the Rydges.
- UCC wins "Best Club of 1999" award.
- UCC purchases an ethernet switch.
- erwin, the SGI O2, dies from motherboard failure.
- morwong, an AlphaServer 1000A, is purchased.
- UCC becomes NISed, with dominance (formerly kraken) as master.
- poobrown, an HP apollo, is donated.
- Rhapsody (OS X pre-beta) installed on nautilus
- hydra, the new router, created.
- mussel upgraded to be a dual pentium III 750
- cod, a console box is created from parts purchased and taken from mussel
- cobbler constructed
- mooneye dies a horrible death and is reborn as a dual pentium 90
- kormoran, a Macintosh LC (?) donated and set up for webcam capture.
- UCC clubroom gets a power upgrade, freeing up more than ten powerboards
- [RPS], [AHC] and [LGM], working at UCS work out feasibility of providing unmetered internet access for residential students at UWA and associated groups, including UCC
- UWA resnet comes online, includes provisions for UCC to receive unmetered Internet access from UWA ITS for the first time, though at commercial rates.
- UCC coke expands to service UWA ITS, with coke sales profits covering Internet costs
- [TRS] sets up magic routing + NAT to use fast aarnet link for unmetered peering traffic and slower resnet for commercial traffic
- Many UCCans leave ITS, leading to withdrawal of UCC coke service
- June: The club is robbed. Most of the tools, consoles and gaming machines are stolen
- July: [BOB] joins the club...and starts rebuilding
- The first of the great spartan forkbombs happens
- October: The first of the great projects bench machines, coblet, is born from the ashes of cobbler and velvet
- [BOB] throws out the fishmobile
- A futon couch is acquired, and the old armchairs ragequit
- Pinball, to be the best linux clubroom machine for the next two years, is donated to the club
- [MRD] negotiates free internet for the club, saving UCC thousands of dollars per year
- UCC gets its first Windows server, Maaxen, a sun V20z running Server 2008
- The Great Storm of Perth hits UCC on March 22, smashing the skylights and all the windows in the clubroom and machine room
- Most of the club machines and equipment get wet, causing over $50,000 worth of damage
- The clubroom is out of bounds for three weeks while the carpet is ripped up, power is checked, and an insurance inventory is taken
- Despite the damage, committee and wheel manage to get mail and core services up in Arts within 24 hours of the storm
- The last CRT screen is retired from the UCC clubroom
- Antarctica, a 5.3kW Kelvinator, is purchased for the machine room to replace the aircons that had been destroyed in the storm
- Portaloo, a half-height rack, is acquired for the machine room
- Coconut and palm, Cisco 2948G's, are purchased from Arts
- Humpback updated to Ubuntu 10.04
- Lorenzo dies a fiery death when it forgets its entire config, and gets replaced by coconut
- Characid, a core2duo is donated for the clubroom by [SJY]
- Catfish, a six core AMD box, is purchased for the clubroom
- The club gets an amazing insurance payout from the storm, allowing it to recover from what would otherwise have been a crippling blow
- Napoli, an iMac is purchased for the clubroom. The fanboys finally shut up.
- UCC internal network becomes completely gigabit
- A hot-air rework station is purchased for the projects bench
- [BOB] starts the incorporation move, not knowing what he was getting himself into. Over 100 emails are sent to the list about the constitution in a month
- Someone thought it was a good idea to see if spartan's forkbomb still worked on mussel. It did.
- Motsugo is purchased by the club with member donations, replaces martello as primary user server
- Mermaid is retired, and merlo is purchased to replace it
- [TPG] rewrites dispense and deploys it, an achievement that no member had been able to do in 17 years
- The machine room gets a complete (internal) rebuild; two new racks, a UPS, cable management, most things put on rails, new power distribution
- [FEL] donates 24G of RAM, completely filling all slots on motsugo
- Nine months after the first proposal, UCC finally gets its certificate of incorporation
- UCC camp is revived in the form of an intervarsity camp with ComSSA and CASSA