University Computer Club

UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2018-09-26

Attendance:

Present:

  • [GOZ] Andrew Gozzard [President]
  • [CFE] Zack Wong [Treasurer]
  • [FVP] Felix von Perger [Secretary]
  • [GIR] Caira Bayman [Fresher Rep]
  • [CHB] Alden Bong [OCM]
  • [LCY] Chien Yi Lo [OCM]

Not on committee:

  • [TAY]

Late:

  • [THA] Tom Hill Almeida [OCM]

Apologies:

  • [JWB] William Chesnutt [Vice President]

Mentioned:

  • [NTU], [TPG], [BOB], [LLL], [thedom102]
  • Hayden of the Tavern
  • PCS, CSSC, UEC

Meeting opened at "oh for f*ck's sake Windows..." [sic] (14:17:33)

Confirmation of minutes from 2018-09-19

Committee Reports

President's Report

  • I'm on holiday for a week for the first time since 2015 and I had to come to this meeting.
  • Discussed the regs with people, details below.

Vice President's Report

  • Absent.

Secretary's Report

  • Sent (email about charity vigil)[https://lists.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/pipermail/ucc-announce/2018-September/000611.html], waaaay too late.
  • "Fixed" the DNS issue causing LMS etc to be inaccessible
    • and accidentally caused an entire long weekend of catastrophic downtime :3
    • Thanks to [NTU], [TPG] and [CFE] for sorting that out
  • Charity vigil was fun, spent most of it trying to unbreak the UCCDOMAYNE.
  • [THA] arrives at 14:26:23.
  • I like the way Square sends us occasional emails, it reminds us that we still have it set up.
  • Checked the mail.

Treasurer's Report

  • Accounts:
    • Guild: $2970.26
    • Mastercard: $81.23
    • Cheque: $4856.59
  • Haven't done much this week, have 2 projects to work on.
    • Plus domain stuff broke.

Fresher Rep's Report

  • Made the poster last night.
  • Not sure if I am going to run Vive Night tonight, [JWB] might not be coming.
    • Also it's study break.

OCM Reports

  • [LCY] I'll go over what I've done in events.
  • [CHB] I'm considering setting up a cron to do my job.
    • [LCY] I appreciate the reminders from [CHB].
  • [THA] I am increasingly disappointed with modern software, it's all bloated and sh*t.
    • My action items kept getting stolen by [FVP].
    • Technical discussion about Steam on Linux ensues.
    • TODO: [THA] Talk to [GOZ] about how best to install Steam on Linux desktops.

Machine Technical Reports

Servers

  • New maltair has been racked and firmware upgraded.
    • Set up on Monday by [BOB], it's up and running now.
  • [FVP] is making a virtual copy of UCC on VMs running inside a VM on Maltair.
    • [FVP] Nested virtualisation is fun.

Network

  • Everything. Broke. Again.
    • See Secretary's report.
  • Mussel and mooneye now use only AD for logins! Yay?
  • AD replication went gaga, samurai was wiped and cleanly rejoined to the domain.
    • That didn't work either, so samson was restored from backup and is now our only domain controller.
  • Webcam scripts are buggy and vulnerable to exploitation, needs fixing.

Desktops

  • Surprisingly functional.
  • The mouse on christmas is occasionally unreliable, might be an issue with the USB ports / drivers / BIOS.

New equipment

  • Replacement "hardware" for Maltair
    • [FVP] Please reimburse me AU $369.65.
    • Budget of $550 was approved earlier, payment will be made shortly.
  • [FVP] has donated a Dell wireless mouse, thanks to Guild Student Center.
  • Our old aircon has been returned, it is now in a bag on the table in the machine room.

Drinks and Snacks

  • Nothing to report.

External Entities

Mail

  • No mail.

Guild/SOC

  • No Guild (if only...)

Other Affairs

  • Electrolux has returned our aircon, it has not been tested and we have not yet been invoiced for the delivery / pickup.

Events

Vive Nights

  • Not being run tonight.

Charity Vigil

  • UCC was part of the event and did contribute... somewhat.
  • [GOZ] Between not giving availability informations and not attending meetings, I feel that [JWB] has failed his responsibilities as a subcommittee rep.
  • [FVP] Could be better marketed/attended by UCC.
  • [TAY] UCC needs to plan its activities and monetisation strategies in advance, otherwise people don't have an incentive to come.
  • [FVP] I ended up taking care of the Vive later in the event, that was fine but I didn't really know what was going on.
    • [TAY] It would be a good idea that if a rep can't make it to an event that they delegate their responsibilities to another committee member.
      • Also important to have other committee members involved in the organisation of the event.
  • [GOZ] The way that UCC used to motivate members was with LANs, those have been dead for a while now.
    • I'd be keen to run an Artemis LAN at some point, in the future, not right now.

Artemis LAN

  • Problem for the holidays.

Cameron Hall-oween

  • Date is confirmed: Saturday 27th October.
  • [FVP] needs to contact Hayden and ask about alcohol pricing.
    • [TAY] Try to set up a meeting before the Tav opens.
  • Volunteer assistants for First Aid / RSA during the event:
    • [GOZ] can do First Aid and RSA
    • [CHB] can also do both
  • Decorations:
    • [GOZ] can bring the most terrifying thing he can think of: Printouts of the UCC constitution.
    • [TAY] can bring garden gnomes, if we want to do a themed room...

Relay for Life

  • Emails were sent out, in the same email as the cleanup.
  • No news from [LLL], there are not very many people "interested" in the Facebook event.

44th Anniversary Dinner (2018-10-20)

  • Attendance estimate is 20 people.
    • Will be confirmed with the Tav closer to the event so we can get a more accurate estimate based on ticket sales.
  • Tav costs $350 to hire, we shouldn't have to pay for security if the Tav can trust our record.
    • Ticket price of $40 per person should be fine.
    • Suggested budget is $20 per person for food, menu to be confirmed with Guild Catering.
  • [GIR] has made a poster, is a good poster.

Study Events for all CITS units

  • Probably want to form a subcommittee if we want to stay "above board"
  • PCS committee is keen to be involved, but has not had a meeting since last discussed at UCC.
    • PCS vice president is happy to do the EMP.
  • Anna of UEC has replied to email.
  • No further news from CSSC but they are presumably still keen.
  • TODO: [GOZ] Facilitate a meaningful connection between the different clubs involved in the event.

Tech talks


Action Items from 2018-09-19

[GOZ]

  • Book camp at Camp Leschenaultia for 19th to 22nd July 2019 - not done.
    • Ask Camp Lesch to install some eyelets.

[CFE]

  • Implement committee handover documentation archive - in progress.
  • Continue writing camp network documentation - almost done.

[FVP]

  • Confirm booking of the Tav for 20th October & Tav catering - in progress.
  • Add Relay for Life to Cerberus - not done.
  • Halloween subcommittee:
    • Ask about halloween decorations
      • See above.
    • Ask if people with alcohol certifications can help with the Halloween party
      • See above.
  • Contact CSSC, PCS and UEC for study event - ongoing.
  • Organise language week stall - in progress
    • Guild hasn't sent out minutes from the recent SOC meeting which might or might not actually include contact information.

[GIR]

  • Coordinate with [JWB] about running CITS first year unit study sessions - stolen by [FVP]
    • TODO: [GIR] Make a poster for CITS study session.
  • Make a poster for Anniversary Dinner - makes quite the impression - done.

[LCY]

  • Send email for busybee on 29th September, starting at 11am - done.
  • Send email about Relay for Life - done.

[CHB]

  • Facilitate discussions about machine room renovations - ongoing
  • Submit EMP for Anniversary Dinner (pending Tav booking confirmation) - ongoing see above Events entry.
    • It was submitted, then the Guild website was restored from backup...

[THA]

  • Finish inventorying and make spec cards for machines - in progress.
    • Will occur once I don't have assignment.
  • Make Facebook events for tech talks and send emails to [email protected] - done.

General Business

  • Doorings:
    • [thedom102] Ben Zhao
      • Soft drink was spilled on the desk and floor, it was cleaned but the keyboard was found sticky the day later.
      • TODO: [LCY] Talk to [thedom102] about repeated doorings.
      • The dooring lapses.
  • [FVP] Buy a USB C charger
    • PLE has one for $89
    • Storm computers has one for $45
    • Officeworks has one $18 on clearance
    • [GOZ] We can have multiple chargers and put them in the corners of the room.
    • [LCY] Motion to budget $60 to acquire 3 Comsol USB Type C chargers.
      • [THA] seconds.
      • Motion passes unanimously.
      • [CFE] Shipping is free for orders over $55, need to buy something else which is cheap.
      • TODO: [CFE] Buy Comsol chargers from Officeworks.
  • Review of feedback and instatement of the proposed new regulations.
    • [NTU]: Incremental replacement/refactor of https://www.ucc.asn.au/infobase/policies.ucc as separate to Step 1: update as https://www.ucc.asn.au/infobase/procedures.ucc or similar.
      • [GOZ] That would cause unnecessary confusion and generally be far more complicated than is necessary.
      • [THA] There has not been a clear suggestion as to how these should be best rolled out in stages.
    • [BOB] raised issues with the clause "The Committee in consultation with existing Wheel members may appoint Wheel members"
      • [GOZ] The previous (and current) incarnation of the Group Admission Guidelines state that committee alread had this power.
        • That document is purportedly older than everyone on committee except for [GOZ] and [LCY].
        • The constitution grants Committee absolute power over Wheel anyway.
    • [NTU] pointed out that the ITPA Code of Ethics is perhaps not suitable for Wheel group as all members are volunteers, not professionals.
      • [FVP] I've read through the ITPA code and I haven't seen anything that could be remotely considered problematic in the context of a volunteer organisation.
      • [GOZ] I consider them equivalent but I have added the UCC Wheel Group Ethical Guidelines as an appendix to the proposed regulations to replace the ITPA ones.
        • [GOZ] reads out the Wheel Group Ethical Guidelines.
    • [NTU] also suggested the idea of "rough consensus" for the appointment of Wheel Members.
      • Committee meeting adjourned for a number of minutes at 16:34:41 to renew parking and for various other reasons.
      • Meeting resumes at 16:40:21, [GIR] has not yet returned.
      • [GOZ] has received a parking ticket.
      • [GIR] returns at 16:42:10.
      • Following discussion, wording is changed require an "absolute majority" to appoint Door and Wheel Members.
    • [GOZ] Motion to replace all existing regulations with the regulations found here.
      • [THA] seconds.
      • Motion passes unanimously.
    • TODO: [FVP] Update UCC website "Policies and Procedures" page.

Meeting closed at 16:58:29.

Current Action Items

[GOZ]

  • Book camp at Camp Leschenaultia for 19th to 22nd July 2019.
    • Ask Camp Lesch to install some eyelets.
  • Facilitate a meaningful connection between the different clubs involved in the study event.

[CFE]

  • Implement committee handover documentation archive.
  • Continue writing camp network documentation.
  • Buy Comsol chargers from Officeworks.

[FVP]

  • Confirm booking of the Tav for 20th October & Tav catering.
  • Add Relay for Life to Cerberus.
  • Halloween subcommittee:
    • Send email about halloween decorations & volunteer assistants (RSA / First Aid / Event Managers)
  • Organise study event with UCC, PCS, CSSC and UEC.
  • Organise language week stall.
  • Update UCC website "Policies and Procedures" page.

[GIR]

  • Make a poster for CITS study session.

[LCY]

  • Talk to [thedom102] about repeated doorings.

[CHB]

  • Facilitate discussions about machine room renovations.
  • Submit EMP for Anniversary Dinner in person as hardcopy (pending Tav booking confirmation).

[THA]

  • Finish inventorying and make spec cards for machines.
  • Talk with [GOZ] about how best to install Steam on Linux desktops.

Minutes uploaded by frekk at 23:15 on 2018-09-26

Colour: #
Text Colour: #
Background Colour: #


© 1993-2015
[email protected]
University Computer Club
Guild of Undergraduates
The University of Western Australia