UCC Committee Meeting Minutes 2018-06-19
- [JWB] William Chesnutt [Vice President]
- [CFE] Zack Wong [Treasurer]
- [FVP] Felix von Perger [Secretary]
- [CHB] Alden Bong [OCM]
- [LCY] Chien Yi Lo [OCM]
- [BIG] Nicholas Coetzer
- [TBB] Alfred Burgess
- [GOZ] Andrew Gozzard [President]
- [GIR] Caira Bayman [Fresher Rep]
- [KAT] C. C. 'Blake' [OCM]
- [LDT] Roland Kerr
- [THA] Thomas Hill Almeida
- [TRS] James Andrewartha
- [EAR] Elton Rodrigues
Meeting opened at 10.18
Confirmation of minutes from 2018-06-12
- Absent, report delivered late.
- It's been a solid week of lit review and shenanigans.
Vice President's Report
- Thought about door policy, did nothing else.
- Checked the mail, nothing there.
- [CHB] someone should follow up with [LDT] about Electrolux
- Put up the posters for camp!
- No further response from Andrew Shugg or Kelvin Lee
- Cheque: $5359.39
- Mastercard: $30.62
- Guild: $1753.00
- Exams are over so I have time to do stuff.
- ACNC wants our AIS (Annual Information Statement)
- [JWB] was reminded about obligations under Associations Incorporations Act to provide Information Statement to Dept of Commerce.
Fresher Rep's Report
- Can't come for the next 2 meetings, will send formal apologies later.
- Paper in various forms (tissues, paper towels and printing paper) has been purchased. I would like to be reimbursed.
- [CFE] motion to reimburse [LCY] $16.39 for assorted paper.
- [CHB] seconds.
- Motion passes unanimously.
- [LCY] Motion to reimburse [LCY] $30.00 for the headsets.
- Bought from the reject shop (since JB HiFi only sells really expensive gear)
- 2x cheap ones for $9 each, separate plug for microphone and audio
- Another one for $12 with an inline microphone, may need a splitter
- [FVP] has some spare splitters lying around at home, can bring one in later.
- Bought the headphones on a whim, committee does not need to reimburse me.
- [BIG] It's extremely convenient for members to have them, just like chairs.
- [JWB] Point was made last year by someone on committee that people playing with headphones on makes the club feel like a LAN cafe.
- [BIG] In my experience, cooperative playing is equally likely with or without headphones.
- [BIG] If you want to have headphones, you need a system to take care of them.
- Discussion deviates somewhat to door policy in general.
- [FVP] is in favour of club headphones, if we have headphone stands and rules to look after them.
- [GOZ] enters the meeting at 10:35.
- [JWB] Any arguments against the club owning headphones?
- [BIG] Probably the best argument against it is that they will get destroyed.
- Motion does not pass, 2 in favour, 4 against.
Machine Technical Reports
- IPv6 is sort of broken, in some circumstances.
- [CFE] Plans have been made to move the webcams to a different VLAN.
- [CFE] was reminded by [EAR] to look at getting the water cooler replaced/repaired.
- Catfish has been getting disk errors.
- New SSD has arrived for Pinball.
- Porcupine doesn't boot, doesn't recognise its hard disk.
- Cobra has a really small hard disk or partition used for storing profiles, it always gets full.
- [CFE] It is possible to do quotas using AD.
- [BIG] has done a course on AD but doesn't want to touch it.
- Reports of freezes / crashes while using Cobra and Christmas/Catfish.
- [CFE] is still working on doing an inventory of our desktop hardware.
- Status of desktops is that they are all getting a bit "long in the tooth", waiting on inventory to figure out what to do.
- Status of the Cameron Hall comms room is still uncertain. Getting access to it temporarily is not too much of a problem though.
- Paper, tissues and paper towels.
- [FVP] Purchased some mini-DP adapters on eBay. Will send invoice to treasurer when they arrive.
- [LCY] has donated 3 sets of headphones to the club.
- Nice new SSD for Pinball.
Drinks and Snacks
- Nothing new.
- [LCY] has kindly donated some coke zero to the floor and [FVP]'s jacket.
- Nothing came in the mail.
- Busybee on Saturday.
- [JWB] will make a Facebook event for it.
- [GOZ] will probably get some generic carpet cleaner for the couches.
- [JWB] names [TBB] and [BIG] for being annoying.
- No response from Kelvin Lee about LDAP.
[ROB] UCC Nostalgia Night
- Proposed daterange (late June) is coming up soon.
- [GOZ] Should we schedule this on Sunday 8th July. (same weekend as Winter LARP)
- [FVP] can come in early to help set up.
- [JWB] proposes an end of exams movie night.
- [GOZ] Saturday 23/06 after the busybee.
- [JWB] People who are at the busybee would have had pizza for lunch...
- Pizza at 18:00, movie starts at 19:00.
- Suggestions for movies are welcome.
Sysadmin "Tech-talk" workshop
- [FVP] I can finally start working on this.
- We finally got the poster artwork!
- [FVP] And now the posters are up as well!
- Need to do consent form.
- [GOZ] Beatentrack's disk is currently AWOL, should find it at some point.
- [CFE] The antenna jack on the old modem was broken so we might need to buy a new one.
- [GOZ] Asus makes a dedicated 4G-AC53u modem/router device for around $260, I am happy to chip in.
- Skywhale has been located in the box on the camp antenna pole, no USB 3G/4G dongle was connected.
- Camp network night: Wednesday 18/07/2018 starting at 16:00, 1.5 weeks before camp
- [GOZ] In the past, it has been on the Wednesday more than a week before camp.
- [GOZ] will be happy to do a food run.
- [JWB] Are we allowed to play drinking games on camp?
Tech Busybee (24/06/2018)
- Are we buying more crates?
- [GOZ] $50 should be sufficient to get an appropriate number of crates.
- [FVP] will look into buying crates and things as necessary.
- We can also get some sticky notes / stickers to put on things to mark them for keeping / disposal.
Action Items from 2018-06-12
- [GOZ] Discuss with other clubs to gauge interest in wifi upgrades - done
- Not heard anything back yet.
- [FVP] talked to Simon from UniSFA, they will discuss it at their next meeting.
- [GOZ] Look into cleaning the couches - done
- Will buy generic carpet cleaner and isopropyl alcohol for the cleanup on the weekend.
- [GOZ] Obtain a poster for Camp and make social media posts - done.
- [CFE] Untangle financial records for 2016 - in progress
- They're less tangled than they were before.
- [CFE] Implement committee handover documentation archive - in progress
- Not done, but I do have an idea.
- Create a samba share, create a webpage and we're done.
- [CFE] Chase up [LDT] and ask about Windows licenses - not done
- [FVP] Reschedule tech cleanup to Sunday 24th June - done
- [FVP] Send the money related things from Quizmittee to [CFE] - done
- [FVP] Buy Mini-DP adapters - done
- [FVP] and [CFE]: Organise sysadmin workshop for semester 2 - ongoing
- [FVP] Investigate options for camp internet - done by [GOZ]
- [GOZ] For $70 we can get 100GB through OVO (Optus), not on a contract.
- [FVP] Update the Camp wiki page - will do
- [KAT] and [CFE]: Print cards for machine specs and clubroom rules - ongoing
- [CFE] and [JWB] to resolve the storage applications issue - done
- [CFE] sent the email through on Thursday. No reply yet.
- [JWB], [LCY] and [CHB]: Continue discussing door policy reviews - in progress
- [LCY]: Organise first-year unit study events (next semester) - not going to be done.
- Committee: Everyone with RSA or Food Safety certificates, please send them to [CFE].
- TODO: [JWB] to do Food Safety Training.
- TODO: [FVP] to do Food Safety Training.
- [TBB] President of JapSoc has asked if they can have a webcam in their clubroom.
- [GOZ] Where is the clubroom located?
- [TBB] 3rd floor guild building above CCZ.
- [GOZ] No, it is not technologically feasible to do so.
- [FVP] Oh, btw, some of our door members (according to doorgroup mailing list) aren't even current UCC members.
- [JWB] Only 3 people who are no longer members of the club.
- Accounts are still disabled so it isn't a huge problem.
- TODO: [FVP] remove the people from doorgroup list who are not members.
- [FVP] Can we buy a SATA-USB adapter of some sort? Preferably with its own power supply to support 3.5" drives.
- [GOZ] Motion to budget $50 to acquire a SATA to USB hard drive dock.
- [CFE] seconds.
- Motion passes, 5 in favour, 1 abstains.
- TODO: [GOZ] Buy SATA-USB adapter.
- [FVP] Catfish is getting disk errors as well.
- Can we buy a bulkload of SSDs to upgrade our machines. We're stuck with a pre-2010 computing experience using hard disks.
- [GOZ] Wait for the inventorying system to be set up and then we know what we need to get.
- [FVP] please please please upgrade / bin porcupine. It's completely broken.
- Budget something like $900-$1200 for this ASAP.
- [CHB] I think [THA] is already working on a proposal for this to be sent to [email protected]
- End of semester and exams probably got in the way.
- Relevant minutes are 18th May 2018.
- Follow up on it?
- [JWB] Upgrading 2 machines per year sounds like a good plan.
- [FVP] Organise a door meeting to discuss door policy / guidelines.
- [BIG] doesn't think that hard rules are good - everything should be under door members discretion.
- Remind people that complaints are a thing.
- In the past complaints have led to action.
- [TRS] Renewing ucc.asn.au
- [CFE] has already done that, enetica keeps sending us emails for some reason.
- Domain has been transferred and renewed, we can ignore the emails.
- [GOZ] Interpreting the constitution.
- Creation of policies, as constitutional amendments, can be done only by a 2/3 majority at a General Meeting
- Committees can create regulations which are an agreement within the committee about how things are run.
- Proposal to clarify nomenclature:
- The committee thus interprets the constitution such that the following are true:
- Policies: Official amendments to the constitution approved at a General Meeting.
- Guidelines: Permanent standing operational guidelines for the club that can be created and modified by the committee and last beyond the term of a committee.
- Regulations: Agreements by a committee that only last the term of that committee.
- [GOZ] Thank f***, that means we don't have to redo anything.
Meeting closed at 12.17, 1 hour and 59 minutes later
Current Action Items
- [GOZ] Organise couch cleaning equipment for Saturday.
- [GOZ] Buy SATA-USB adapter.
- [JWB] Do Food Safety Training.
- [CFE] Untangle financial records for 2016.
- [CFE] Implement committee handover documentation archive.
- [CFE] Chase up [LDT] and ask about Windows licenses.
- [FVP] Remove the people from doorgroup list who are not members.
- [FVP] and [CFE]: Organise sysadmin workshop for semester 2.
- [FVP] Update the Camp wiki page.
- [FVP] Do Food Safety Training.
- [KAT] and [CFE]: Print cards for machine specs and clubroom rules.
- [JWB], [LCY] and [CHB]: Continue discussing door policy reviews.
- Committee: Everyone with RSA or Food Safety certificates, please send them to [CFE].
Minutes uploaded by [FVP] at 23:15 on 2018-06-27